Dr. Samuel Yee DDS may recommend antibiotics to help treat periodontal disease. Antibiotics work to kill the harmful bacteria in your mouth, and are available in several different forms. We invite you to call Samuel Yee DDS INC at 949-831-3111 to learn more about periodontal antibiotic treatment in Aliso Viejo, California, and schedule your appointment with our experienced dentist.
Antibiotics are available in oral forms, as topic gels, and in antimicrobial forms applied inside periodontal pockets. They have been proven to be extremely effective in treating periodontal disease. Our dentist may prescribe antibiotics at low dosages for long-term usage, or as a short-term medication to help prevent bacteria from re-colonizing in your mouth.
Oral antibiotics affect the whole body, and are less commonly prescribed than topical gels. Some common oral antibiotics used in treating gum disease include:
- Tetracycline – antibiotics including tetracycline include hydrochloride, doxycycline, and minocycline. These types of antibiotics have antibacterial properties, reduce inflammation, and block collagenase (a protein which destroys connective tissues).
- Macrolide – this type of antibiotic is effective in reducing inflammation and bacterial growth.
- Metronidazole – this antibiotic is often used in combination with amoxicillin or tetracycline to combat inflammation and bacterial growth.
Topical Gels Strips
- Atridox®– This antibiotic is a doxycycline gel. It conforms to the contours of gum surfaces and solidifies over them. Over a period of several days, antibiotic medication is gradually released.
- PerioChip®– This chip is placed into the actual gum pocket after a root planing procedure, and slowly releases chlorhexidine, a powerful antibacterial antiseptic. This antibiotic reduces pocket depth in most cases of periodontitis.
- Actisite®– This antibiotic is a thin strip is similar to dental floss. It contains tetracycline hydrochloride. The thread is temporarily placed between the tooth and gum to kill bacteria and reduce the depth of gum pockets. Several threads are sometimes placed for a period of 10 days to enhance the effect of the medication.
- Elyzol®– This metronidazole antibiotic comes in both gel and strip forms. It is unique because it is able to destroy parasites as well as oral bacteria.
- Arestin®– This minocycline antibiotic comes in mini capsules which are delivered into the gums after scaling and root planning.
For more information about antibiotic periodontal treatments and to schedule your consultation with our dentist, contact our office today.