Cavities can be painful, and can lead to tooth decay and childhood gum disease if left untreated. When you visit Samuel Yee DDS INC, we will help you learn how to prevent cavities and help your child maintain good oral health. Call us at 949-831-3111 to learn more about cavity prevention and schedule your consultation with Dr. Samuel Yee DDS in Aliso Viejo, California.
Cavities form when your child’s teeth are exposed to sugary foods on a regular basis. Sugars and carbohydrates collect on and around the teeth, and develop into a plaque (a type of sticky film), which ingests the sugary particles and produces acid. This acid attacks the tooth enamel, leaving it vulnerable to tooth decay.
Symptoms of cavities include:
- Sensitivity to hot, cold, or spicy foods
- Nighttime crying
You can help prevent cavities by:
- Maintaining a healthy, nutritious diet for your child.
- Reduce or eliminate snacking, especially on sugary foods.
- Make sure your child stays well hydrated.
- Encourage your child to use a regular cup, rather than a sippy cup.
- Avoid sticky foods when possible.
- Rinse your child’s pacifier with running water. Do NOT suck on it, as this can contaminate your child’s mouth.
- Do not send your child to bed with a bottle or a sippy cup or bottle. Give them a drink before bed, and brush their teeth. If the child insists on having a bottle, fill it only with water.
- Do not sweeten their pacifier. Use a blanket, toy, or a hug to calm your child instead.
- Brush and floss for your child twice each day until age 7.
- Ask your child’s dentist for a fluoride assessment to ensure they are receiving the correct amount of fluoride.
- Keep your child’s dental appointments.
For more information about cavity prevention and to make your child’s appointment with our dentist, contact our office today.