One of the most common causes of endodontic problems are cracked teeth. If you have a cracked tooth, you are at risk of developing a number of serious dental problems, including injury and infection to the inner tissues of your teeth. Samuel Yee DDS INC offers treatments for cracked teeth in Aliso Viejo, California, to help restore your smile and oral health. We invite you to contact us at 949-831-3111 for more information about cracked teeth and schedule your consultation with Dr. Samuel Yee DDS.
There are many types of cracked teeth, all of which exhibit the same symptoms. Symptoms of cracked teeth include pain while chewing, sensitivity to temperature, and a release of biting pressure. Cracked teeth can also cause you to experience intermitted pain, which can sometimes make it difficult to diagnose the exact source of pain in your mouth without the assistance of our dentist.
Types of cracked teeth include:
- Craze Lines – craze lines are tiny, superficial cracks in the outer enamel of your tooth. They are not usually a cause for concern, and can be easily resolved with polishing or other minor treatments.
- Fractured Cusps – this crack occurs when the raised points of your tooth become weakened and break off. Dental crowns are the recommended treatment for fractured cusps.
- Cracked Tooth – this crack extends from the chewing surface towards the root, and may even extend into the root itself. Cracked teeth often cause damage to the dental pulp, and require a root canal to treat.
- Split Tooth – the result of untreated cracked teeth. This crack is easily identified by the distinct segments into which the tooth breaks. If the tooth can be saved, it will require an endodontic treatment.
- Vertical Root Fracture – vertical root fractures begin at the root and extend toward the chewing surfaces of the tooth. They do not exhibit obvious symptoms, and may go unnoticed for a long time. You will likely need to have the tooth extracted.
For more information about cracked teeth and our restorative treatment options, please contact our office.